Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Impact/Priority Score and Percentile and critiques

It's been 5 months since I submitted my K99.
If you go to the eRA Commons website, you will find how your application is going.
Looks like they reviewed my application, since the meeting day for me was on October.

Well, my Impact/Priority Score was twenty-something. Is it good?

You know it's my first submission for NIH so I don't know much about the system, but I guess on their review meeting, each reviewer gives you some score which is between 1 to 9. (1 is the best, 9 is awful) Then they calculate the average x 10.

If all of the reviewers give you 1, your Impact/Priority Score will be 10, which is the best.
If all of the reviewers give you 9, your Impact/Priority Score will be 90, which is the worst.

So, I think my twenty-something is not bad.


Based on the NIH Department budget, they will determine Percentile.

If your Impact/Priority Score is on top 8% out of all applications and if their budget can fund top 10% of applicants, congratulations you will be funded.

This means, even if your impact score is pretty good, you might not get funded. (Just imagine that all of other applications are better than yours.)

This also means, even if your impact priority score sucked so much like 40, there is a chance to get funded. (Just imagine that all of other applications sucked too)

There is a website that people talk about their score, percentile and some facts that if they are funded or not.
http://writedit.wordpress.com/nih-paylines-resources/

Don't worry if you don't get funded with your first applications.
There is a chance called re-submission. Yes, you can re-submit your proposal.

You can improve your proposal based on their critiques which they will give you eventually.



Anyway, so far I only got my impact priority score. I haven't gotten any of percentile and critiques.

Well see,


Dr. R

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Dr R.
    You're so positive! You make it sound like as long as you're willing to keep trying to improve your application, you can succeed in getting funding. That's a really good way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete